Windows Marketplace for Mobile, Microsoft's on-device app store for smartphones, was once available only for devices running the latest version of Windows Mobile, but support has now been extended to models running previous versions. Windows Marketplace for MobileWhen the first phones with Windows Mobile 6.5 launched last month, they came with a way to find and purchase third-party applications. Even before this on-device software store debuted, Microsoft had promised it would be available for earlier versions of this operating system.
Microsoft has now carried through with this promise; Windows Marketplace for Mobile is now available for devices running Windows Mobile 6.1 and Windows mobile 6.0. More about Windows Marketplace for Mobile This app store lets users browse, buy, and download software. Applications have to pass a "rigorous" certification and testing process to ensure that they run well on Windows phones before they can be listed on the market.
Developers who sell applications through the Windows Marketplace for Mobile receive 70% of the revenue, with the other 30% going to Microsoft. Third-party developers are able to set the price for their applications in each market, and can also choose to distribute their products for free. Available Now To get download Marketplace directly onto a Windows Mobile 6.0 or 6.1 device, users should go to mp.
On a PC, this app can be downloaded from windowsphone.com/getmarketplace.Those who don't want to install the Marketplace onto this device can shop on the Windows Marketplace for Mobile site. Any application purchased are delivered wirelessly to the customer’s phone, and install the next time the Windows Marketplace client runs on the device.
Apps Stores for Everyone Although the idea of putting a software store directly on a mobile device isn't new Nokia has been doing it years, for example but Apple truly popularized the idea with the iPhone App Store. In the wake of Apple's success, many others have gotten on the bandwagon and are coming out with their own on-device software stores. Obviously this includes Microsoft, but RIM, Google, and Palm have all followed suit.